President Duterte Says He Needed Six More Months For His War On Drugs


President Duterte said on Sunday that he needed six more months to solve the drug and crime problems in the country. He added that he only realized how bad the country's narcotics problem was taking office over two months.


Duterte admitted that he did not realize the magnitude of the country's drug problem when he declared his self-imposed deadline of three to six months during the campaign.
"Maybe just give me an extension of another six months. I did not have that idea that there were thousands of people in the drug business and worst is they are operated now by people in government," Duterte said.
"The problem is I cannot kill them all," he noted. "Even if I wanted to, I cannot do it."


According to local police, more than 3,500 people or about 47 per day have been killed in the past 10 weeks in connection with the illegal drugs trade, nearly two thirds by unknown assailants and the rest in legitimate police operations.


President Duterte has dismissed criticism of his war on drugs, including allegations made by rights groups at home and abroad of extrajudicial killings.


New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) last week said the U.N. should look into the drugs war and be allowed to interview witnesses.

Source: ABS-CBN

0 comments

Post a Comment